Thursday 31 December 2009

Good Riddance to 2009!

I know I should be writing a positive post and hopefully this will turn out this way but I'm glad it's the end of 2009. This has been the worst year of my life - literally. Both my parents died. My Dad in February after heart surgery and my Mom in April in a house fire which also completely destroyed the home I grew up in. We salvaged a few burned items (less than a shoe box full I would say) of burned pictures etc. The one bright spot was that we managed to find their wedding rings. Both Mom and Dad's. Dad never took his off until he went to the hospital this last time so Mom had it. Her original ring was wore really thin over the years so she stopped wearing it because she was afraid it would wear right through and break. She always kept her purse in the dryer (thinking no burglar would look in there). She also had a small tin box in there with some silver dollars and her wedding rings as it turns out. Everything in the dryer was disintegrated but the rings didn't melt. Miracle of miracles. I've spent the year dealing with death, funerals, wills and insurance companies. It's all settled pretty much now though. As you can imagine I have no love lost for this crappy year. I want it behind me so I can move on to happier times and try to focus on the happy memories. Maybe all this will help push me to be the best person I can be - not there yet still wallowing in self pity some days and don't much care about a lot of things right now but hopefully the future will be brighter and I can push myself to be a better person and make my parents proud!

Miss you Mom. Miss you Dad. All my love.

I don't want to come across completely negative as I am looking forward to a better 2010 and I truly wish each of you a wonderful New Year and I hope it brings you all you desire.

No comments: