Sunday 12 July 2009

Happy Birthday Dad


This would have been my father's 70th birthday today. He passed away on February 9th, 2009 a few weeks after having heart surgery. He had a heart valve replaced. This was his second heart surgery and he tried really really hard to stay with us but in the end his body gave out.
The strange thing is while I miss him terribly every day, today is not a sad day. I am remembering him and all the wonderful times we had and how privileged I was to have him as my Dad. He was such a funny person. His sense of humour was wonderful and I have many memories of him and how he would often trick us as kids. The picture here is of my sister and I when she was just a year old. I won't say when that was because that might give away our ages. One fond memory I have is of Dad driving us down our country roads and saying to us each and every time. He would always say "I see a rabbit." Gullible children that we were we'd always excitedly say "Where, where!" and look around feverishly to try and see the cute little bunny we imagined. Dad would inevitably say "It's peeking out behind a rock." He said this every time and we always fell for it. I know this may seem like a silly story but to my sister and I it's a very funny and fond memory. Thanks Dad for being a wonderful father. I wish you had been able to spend more time with us but I know you are at peace and you are always in my heart and I will always love you. From Daddy's girl.

No comments: