Wednesday 29 April 2009

Canada Post Rant

Why is it that different post offices charge different rates for the same parcels and even different staff within the same post office charges different rates? I just went to send a parcel within Canada that falls below the 2cm rule. At first the woman wanted to charge me over $10.00. When I complained she measured again and this time it was $1.18. I know anything over 2 cm within Canada would be over $10 and the same packaged shipped from Canada to the United States would be about half that price.

While I'm on the subject why does one post office require customs forms and send the package as a small packet and another requires no customs forms (when shipping outside Canada) and ships as a letter. Technically I think that any package that doesn't contain a letter and is shipped outside Canada even thin packages such as my buttons should require customs forms. Now I don't work for the post office and I go to the post office specifically for their expertise so I can make sure my packages get shipped off correctly with the correct forms and the correct postage. I'm more than a little concerned that Canada post employees don't really all seem to be on the same page as far as rates are concerned. Makes me wonder how many times I've been overcharged!

Thanks for taking the time to read my rant. I feel better now. Off my soapbox and back to making buttons.

No comments: