Saturday 7 June 2008

Altered Art Treasures


OK. My name is Robin and I have a collecting addiction. There....I have admitted it. Don't they say admitting it is half the problem? I love collecting stuff-bits and pieces of what would normally be discarded. I pick up odd bits of rusted tin from the street. I order all kind of things from E-bay from typewriter keys to bottle caps to just odds and ends. The problem is since these are often one of a kind items I have such a problem actually using them in a project. I have wonderful ideas but then I can't bring myself to use the actual item because what if I use it in one project and then I think of the absolute perfect use for it the next day and it's gone never to be replaced. Well I've come to the realization that I have to jump in and not look back and use some of these treasures. I think I came to that realization when my studio became so crowded I didn't want to spend time in it creating. To kick start this off I actually went shopping. I know that wasn't the idea-to collect more items but oh well-it's my rules so I get to do this how I want. I went to this absolutely fabulous surplus store that sells absolutely everything. I went without my husband so 1) I wasn't rushed and 2) I didn't have to explain why I wanted to buy odd bits of paraphernalia that I didn't even know what it was. I came out with a big bag of odds and end and I was so excited I couldn't wait to start. That was yesterday.


First thing today I came into my studio and actually cleared some space. I am now writing this blog and the picture here is just some of the things I picked up yesterday and then as I actually use the pieces I will post pictures of the finished items. There are clear glass rounds, little glass vials, 45 record centre pieces, fuses and LED lights of some sort, a computer thingy, reflector, some circles of something which I think might be counter top material, some glass eyes and I don't know what else. I've been having a bit of a creative lull lately but these pieces have gotten me excited again and I can't wait to jump in.


Are you a collector as well. I think most creative people are. Do you, like me, have trouble parting with your collected items just in case?????

No comments: